If you have lived in the UK for many years, you may be considering changing from an immigrant to a citizen. It is easy to apply for British citizenship, and the advantage is that there are many ways to do it. It can be done through naturalization or registration. This article explains the various ways you can apply for British citizenship.
To apply for citizenship through naturalization, you must meet the following criteria.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- If you have children under 18, you can apply on their behalf. Children under the age of 18 do not have to pass the Life in the UK exam.
- You must be of sound mind and good conduct.
- You should plan to continue living in the UK.
- You need to prove your knowledge of English. It can be a B1 level English qualification. Except for the elderly and physically handicapped people, everyone must abide by this rule.
- Since November 1, 2005, applicants for British citizens must pass the Life in UK exam. This includes answering questions about British customs and traditions.
- You must complete a full five years in the UK before the application date. During this 5-year waiting period, you can be absent for up to 450 days, and you can only be absent for up to 90 days in the last 12 months of the 5-year period.
- If you violate any current immigration laws during your 5 years of stay in the UK, your application will be rejected.
- You should also obtain an indefinite permit to stay in the UK.
- Depending on the visa application route you choose, the prerequisites are slightly different.
As an investor
The British government has always encouraged foreigners to settle in the UK through investment. You can enter the country with a Tier 1 Investor Visa or Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa, and you can apply for permanent residence after staying in the UK for 5 years. You can quickly obtain British citizenship by increasing the amount of capital investment.
The decision to apply for British citizenship is usually based on a marriage relationship. For example, if you are a foreigner married to a British citizen or a foreigner living with a civil partner. In this case, the waiting period will be shortened from 5 years before the application is received to 3 years. The app should not stay outside the UK for more than 270 days in 3 years and stay outside the UK for 90 days in the past 12 months.
After the naturalization application is accepted, you will be required to attend the formal naturalization ceremony. Applicants should swear allegiance and pledge to uphold the rights and laws established by the British government. Must participate in this event.
In addition, it is worth noting that the United Kingdom allows dual citizenship. Therefore, you do not need to cancel your original citizenship to apply for new citizenship.