Everything You Need to Know About Studying in Canada


Canadian universities and colleges receive more than 130,000 foreign students every year. The visa process is easy and there are great job opportunities. Canada provides quality education at affordable tuition. The average cost of an academic year (8 months) for foreign students in an undergraduate program is 11,903 Canadian dollars.

Canadian degrees, diplomas or certificates are considered equivalent to American degrees/diplomas/certificates.

A safe place to study

Canada has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. It is considered to be a relatively peaceful, safe and orderly country. Unlike the United States, Canada strictly controls guns, which are generally not allowed.

Canadian education system
In Canada, there are private and public schools, including community colleges/technical colleges, professional colleges, language schools, high schools, summer camps, universities and colleges. Different provinces adopt different education systems.

According to the Canadian system, children are not required to attend kindergarten. Children in kindergarten usually start at the age of four or five. All children start the first grade around the age of six (the first standard in many countries). The school year usually runs from September to the next June. High school up to grade 11 or 12, depending on the province. Once high school education is completed, students can go to university.

There are 92 universities and 175 community colleges in Canada. Foreign students prefer to attend community colleges because they only need 15 years of education in graduate diploma/certificate programs. Only those who have completed 16 years of education can enter university.

Cooperative education
Some postgraduate certificates/diplomas usually include paid cooperation projects. Combining courses with related work provides students with valuable career advantages. Students will also connect to the Canadian job market. Therefore, the work experience is part of the curriculum.

Graduate work visa
The postgraduate work visa was created specifically for international students. This visa gives graduate students from public colleges and universities and some private universities the opportunity to apply for work visas for work opportunities in their respective fields of study and allows them to gain important work experience in Canada in the following fields: his studies. Lasts one to two years.

While holding a work visa in Canada, it is also possible to process your permanent residence application together. After your application is approved, you will be able to continue your stay in Canada.

Get a visa to study in Canada
If you are an international student and want to study in Canada, you may need a temporary residence visa and study permit. Students going to Quebec must obtain a CAQ (Certificate of Application for Quebec). Depending on your country of origin and the type and duration of the study, you may also need other documents.

If your chosen study course lasts less than six months, no study permit is required. A study permit is required for courses longer than six months.

If you plan to study a course of six months or less, but plan to continue studying in another course after completing the short course, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. If you do not have a valid study permit and want to continue studying, you must leave Canada to apply.